Top 10 most awkward office moments revealed
We’ve all had our fair share of embarrassing office moments, and a survey conducted by The British Heart Foundation reveals the top ten most awkward ones.
The BHF have interviewed over 2,000 UK employees to define those office mishaps which have left people cringing.
Spilling something down your clothes before an important meeting and accidentally clicking ‘reply to all’ to a private email were voted the top two reasons why people turn a burgundy colour in the office.
The survey also highlighted that the majority of these embarrassing scenarios could potentially have been avoided if employees were better informed. A surprising 33% of people admitted that they didn’t know their colleagues names, and 25% disclosed that they did not know what their co-workers roles were.
The BHF is encouraging workers across the UK to hold fundraising events such as coffee mornings and bake sales to help bring co-workers together for a good cause.
Gill Staunton, Head of HR at the British Heart Foundation, describes how care taken during the on boarding process can prevent such tense instances. She explains:
“HR can help avoid these moments through effective inductions for people, so they get to know their colleagues as quickly as possible. The formality that used to exist in many workplaces is certainly changing, and innovative learning interventions and fun fundraising initiatives can help build a great team spirit.”
The full list of the top ten most awkward office moments can be found below:
1. Spilling something down your clothes just before an important meeting (22.35%)
2. Accidentally clicking reply all to a private email (19.85%)
3. Making small talk at the tea point or queuing for the microwave (17.35%)
4. When your boss calls you the wrong name and you don’t know how to correct them (16.90)
5. Bumping into a colleague in the toilets – do you say hello? (16.70%)
6. Bumping into a colleague on the way home and not knowing what to talk about (15.15%)
7. Being too embarrassed to ask someone’s name in a meeting (11.80%)
8. Breaking the printer and walking off without fixing it (11.25%)
9. When someone’s phone goes off in a meeting with an embarrassing ringtone (11.10%)
10. When your boss sits down with you in the canteen (10.45%)